After all, McNuggets are a healthy option.
A food and water parasite called Cyclospora cayetanensis appeared on McDonald’s salads in nine states, left 163 people sick and took three to the hospital. No deaths were reported.
Researchers from the Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of Salad Accompanied by Diseases are working at fast food establishments in Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, and South Dakota. Wisconsin
McDonald’s has “cautiously” stopped selling salads at restaurants in those states and at five others that bought salad mixes from the same retailer earlier this month, the chain said. This decision affects a total of around 3,000 restaurants.
Are They Compromising With The Health?
In addition to the nine states, McDonald’s in Indiana, Michigan, Montana, North Dakota, and West Virginia also received lettuce from a Fresh Express facility in Streamwood, Illinois, which, according to McDonald’s USA Today, is involved in the epidemic. (Fresh Express contested this statement and found that federal authorities have not yet identified a source.)
Though, the McDonald’s administrators are firm on their statement that the health and the safety of the McDonald’s employee is the top-most priority for them. McDonald’s strives to provide high-quality food and some great services. We continue to work together and support regulatory and health authorities in their investigations.”
Cyclosporine contaminates food and water with feces and causes diseases known as cyclosporiasis in infected people. According to the FDA, symptoms include diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach cramps/pain, flatulence, increased gas, nausea, and fatigue.
Symptoms generally persist about a week after infection.
If left untreated, these symptoms can last from a few days to more than a month, with possible relapses in the future. The FDA recommends that anyone who has diarrhea for more than three days consult a doctor.